Thursday 17 February 2011

Buenos Notches

We went for the 20-week scan yesterday. It was a big relief. Everything is in the right place and the baby does not appear to have Pete's hair.


We didn't find out the gender. We want it to be a surprise, and besides the kind of clothes I am intending to buy suit both sexes.



After the scan we went round to my parents' house to show my Mum the photos. I also handed her our copy of the scan report, in case she had any better idea what "transcerebellar diameter 23.8" meant than I did.

Suddenly my Mum gasped.

"What?" I said.

"Nothing. No, it's nothing," she said.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, it's just... I think there's something on this report which tells you what sex the baby is, if you know what you're looking for."

I grabbed the report and asked Mum what she was on about. At first she refused to say, but eventually she pointed to some text at the bottom of the first page:

"R. Uterine artery: no notch"

"No notch!" said my Mum, excitedly. "That must be some kind of medical code!"

"Um..." I said.

"Girls have "notches", don't they?" said Mum. "Your baby has no notch! It's a boy!"

Pete, Mum and I stared at each other. As we started talking about the implications of having a notchless baby, I turned the page of the report.

"Er, Mum?" I said, pointing at page two:

"L. Uterine artery: notch"

I still have no idea what notch/no notch means, but I'm pretty confident there's a low risk of some kind of Wasp Factory scenario unfolding.

But even if it did, we wouldn't mind. The important thing is the baby's healthy. Besides, I've decided Scherzinger works for a girl OR a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment